Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Custom 375 Supermag in 375 GNR
nathan475
Members
Forum Posts: 49
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 2, 2011 - 5:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just picked this gem up on Gun Broker a few days ago. It's a 375 Supermag that was converted to a 375 GNR by Reeder Six Guns of Flagstaff Arizona. The 375 GNR is a 445 Supermag necked down to .375 and it produces some very impressive ballistics. In a single shot pistol it equals the 375 JDJ with bullets weighing 225 grains and under with a shorter barrel, (225 grain jacketed SP bullet at 2200 fps with a 12 inch barrel). In a revolver a 220 grain Hornady SP exits the barrel at a solid 1900+ fps. So at 225 yards and under, anything from moose on down is fair game. This is one of the few revolvers out there with the range and knockdown power of a big bore mid range lever action rifle. I can't wait see what this thing can do on long range shots.

In case anyone is wondering the cost of a conversion like this will run you about $500, and $750 if the barrel needs to be replaced. Add another $1,000 on top of that if you need a custom cylinder built from scratch. This gun has a satin black chrome finish and custom engraving. You can't see it but there's a grizzly bear engraved on the other side of the barrel shroud. I'm paying about $1500 for the gun, dies, 200 new pcs of brass, and other misc charges. I didn't save anything but I also didn't have to find a base gun and wait for the conversion, so I'm very happy.

Image Enlarger

nathan475
Members
July 2, 2011 - 5:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's a picture of the 445 based cartridges that Gary Reeder has created. They are starting from the left: 41 GNR #2, 375 GNR, 358 GNR, 340 GNR.

The 41 and the 375 can be chambered in the Dan Wesson Supermag, the last two are either for 5 shot revolvers or single shot pistols.

Image Enlarger

lonwolf93
Lancaster Pa
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 1572
July 2, 2011 - 9:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nathan,

I saw that one on GB, that is one badass looking revolver. Good to see it's getting a good home, I never heard of that conversion before. I'd love to pull out that black beast at the local range!

Lonwolf

"The lion and the tiger may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus"

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11142
July 2, 2011 - 10:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I didn't know that Reeder even played with DW's that's really cool! cool

The .375 SM is easily one of my favorite rounds, so I must say the thought of a .445 SM necked down to a .375 really pique's my interest...especially in a DW frame.laugh  I would love to run a couple cylinder's worth through that gun...cool 

Even though it's a wildcat cartridge, I think you done good with that price. If the timing was more in my favor, you may very well have had a run for your money on that one.occasion

BTW, being a Reeder custom, I'm surprised there's no nekkid chicks engraved on that cylinder...surprised...LOL!lol2

Dave_Ks
Kansas

Range Officer
Members

Range Officers

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4300
July 2, 2011 - 11:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Now that may be the true hand Canon!   Very nice let us know how she does on the range! 

DSCN1339.jpg

Gary J
Georgia
Members
Forum Posts: 894
July 3, 2011 - 1:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

That is really amazing the way they necked that down from the .445. You really have  a gem there. Enjoy shooting that big boy.  Let's see some more pics of that beauty.  smile

nathan475
Members
July 5, 2011 - 3:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Charger Fan said:

I didn't know that Reeder even played with DW's that's really cool! cool

The .375 SM is easily one of my favorite rounds, so I must say the thought of a .445 SM necked down to a .375 really pique's my interest...especially in a DW frame.laugh  I would love to run a couple cylinder's worth through that gun...cool 

Even though it's a wildcat cartridge, I think you done good with that price. If the timing was more in my favor, you may very well have had a run for your money on that one.occasion

BTW, being a Reeder custom, I'm surprised there's no nekkid chicks engraved on that cylinder...surprised...LOL!lol2

I hear ya, lol. I've seen that gun that you are thinking about. It's the T and A model I think. That engraving has a girl with big boobs and a big cross ear ring in her ear. That's the funniest part of all because I think Gary through that in because he was looking for forgiveness, lol.

It's going to be a fun gun at the range. When ever I take something unusual with me I usually run into an old timer who's been handloading for decades and I usually get a cool story out of it. The only thing missing is the campfire. I'm going test this gun out at a 200 yard range to see if it will compete against my two custom contenders. If it works well I'm taking it to Northern Maine for deer and possibly bear this season.

nathan475
Members
July 5, 2011 - 3:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gary J said:

That is really amazing the way they necked that down from the .445. You really have  a gem there. Enjoy shooting that big boy.  Let's see some more pics of that beauty.  smile

When I get it in a few weeks and put a scope on it I'll post a few more pictures. I would love to post a pic of it, myself, and a nice trophy buck this fall.

nathan475
Members
July 5, 2011 - 3:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

DWA_Midwest said:

Now that may be the true hand Canon!   Very nice let us know how she does on the range! 

I'll post more about it next month when take it to the range and sight the scope in. I'm going to chronograph 4 plus loads, two jacketed and the rest are bullets from custom made bullet molds. A 225 grain cast bullet is supposed to be the optimum in weight and speed for big game according to me loading manual.

I would like to do a 2 inch group at 100 yards with this gun and possibly a 4 inch group at 200. If it does that I'll be impressed for a revolver. So far my record is 4 shots in .900" with a 309 JDJ Contender at 100 yards from a rest.

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5325
July 5, 2011 - 7:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I have some Reeder calibers, myself, and really like lighting them off.  Of course they're all in Contender and Encore platforms.  The 30 GNR in a Contender is fantastic for deer and I've yet to take anything w/ the 310 GNR Encore, although it holds steady on an 8" plate at 475 yards.  Plan to use it on Elk, if I ever get the funds to go.

I'm guessing you'll have no problem with the accuracy you're looking for, providing you do your part.  The DW is probably a great platform for that caliber.

Ron

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

95XL883
Overland Park, KS
Members
Forum Posts: 840
July 5, 2011 - 8:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is just a gorgeous gun.  Congrats on the new acquisition.  occasion  Looking forward to the range report and more cool-pics.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 48
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 4025
Stinger: 3426