Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
15-1
Wastoute
Members
Forum Posts: 12
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 29, 2017 - 12:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK.  I registered to add my experience.  I have used your forum for several days for research and here is what I discovered.

42 years ago a guy I knew peripherally asked if I wanted to buy his gun.  I gave him $50.  I shot it for a while on rare occasions, maybe 50-100 rounds.  A box or two.  I became concerned because the cylinder seemed "loose" and asked a couple gunsmiths if it was safe and was told "No".  So I have had it all this time and never used it.  I did shoot IDPA for a while with a 1911 Para double stack and have had a number of 1911s but was never a "wheel gun" guy.  Recently I have been considering doing some wheel gun shooting and thinking about a S&W .460 or .500.  Then I remembered, I HAVE a wheel gun.  SO I dug it out and started rooting around trying to find out a few things.

One thing I discovered was that the current fantasy about cylinder floppiness is "a little is OK" as long as it doesn't spit lead and is accurate.  Well I remember being impressed with it's accuracy from the get go.  This thing hits what it is pointed at.  So I began to reconsider shooting it.  So I started doing more reading of your forum and noticed the Ser. # are on the right side of the frame.  I thought I would see just when mine was made knowing it had to be before I bought it in '73 or so.  

That is when I discovered it had no serial number!  Just a blank space under "Dan Wesson MFG" and above Monson, MA.  Hmmm.  When did the ATF begin to require serial #s?  I don't know.  Hmmmm.  I read on our forum "some early guns had custom serial numbers".  Could one of them been ordered with no number?  Finally, I took it outside in bright light and found the #.  21,XXX.  And "15-B".

I have always LOVED the way the gun looked and if you ask me the DW 15 "Pork Chop" is what a revolver SHOULD look like.  Anyway, now I am going to shoot the thing.

Wastoute
Members
April 29, 2017 - 12:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Typo.  I don't know where the 1 771 in the title came from...

pops2
beavercreek,oregon
Members
Forum Posts: 811
April 29, 2017 - 12:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

you'll be hooked soonoccasionas you are finding out there are three serial no. locations newer era right side of frame, under the crane and on the grip post under the grip for earliest  models. shoot and enjoy. Dayton

Rimfire

Supporter
Members

Dans Club

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 342
April 29, 2017 - 1:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome aboard! I think having the thrill of pistol shooting is something we all enjoy here...regardless if it's a wheel gun or an auto loader.

I have found invaluable information here and folks willing to share a wealth of experience that cannot be found elsewhere.

Rimfire

"LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO SPEND IT WITH AN UGLY GUN!" - John Taffin

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3424
April 29, 2017 - 1:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wastoute said
I took it outside in bright light and found the #.  21,XXX.  And "15-B".

With those numbers, I bet you found them on the frame underneath the crane.

Dan Fan
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1230
snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1954
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
April 29, 2017 - 2:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the Forum! I think you will really enjoy shooting your Dan.

willy
Ohio

Supporter
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 831
Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
April 29, 2017 - 7:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wastoute said
Typo.  I don't know where the 1 771 in the title came from...  

I changed  the Topic  Title to 15-1, I think that is the Model you have

Steve

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

Wastoute
Members
April 30, 2017 - 8:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nope.  15-B.  Thanks for the help, though.  

So much info to learn.  I am surprised at the things I am learning.  One innovation I can't believe others have not adopted is locking up the crane in front of the cylinder.  It would seem like just pure physics but think about it.  For maximum strength and stability one would want to have the greatest amount of mass in the cylinder between the points at which the cylinder is stabilized.  Also, one would want the strongest of the two stabilizing/fixing points to be as close to the gap between the cylinder and barrel as possible.  I can't believe the S&W and Colt style of locking the cylinder in place both neglect these two points and put the latch in back.

In regard to my gun's "floppy" cylinder I realize that because of the "latch in front" design the rear of the cylinder is less supported but this is unimportant as the critical alignment is up front and there the position is pretty stable.  The more I learn about this gun the more I am fascinated.  I just wish i could buy the "stuff" to recreate a pistol pack but getting the "stuff" to make a pistol pack for a pork chop model seems to be impossible.  Too bad.

the other innovation that is genius is the barrel design.  I guess the thing that does "shoot out" heavy magnum revolvers is bending the frame to open the gap between barrel and cylinder.  This design makes that concern non existent.

Wastoute
Members
April 30, 2017 - 8:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stinger, as you posted.  The serial number is under the crane, tucked up underneath the overhang so it is easy to miss unless the light is bright.  Two lines there one is the serial number, the other is 15-B.

When gunsmiths told me it was unsafe I thought that perhaps a policeman had fired the gun so much it had been "shot out" but retrospectively I should have known better.  The gun could not have been more than two years old when I bought it and looked new.  How many rounds does it take to destroy a gun by shooting it?  I don't know, offhand but I would suspect it is north of 10,000 unless especially hot custom loads are involved.  So what is the chance that someone could have put that many rounds through it?  Looking back I should have known better.

Another innovation that makes sense is the coil spring for the hammer.  I can't believe no one else has done that.

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3424
April 30, 2017 - 8:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wastoute said
Stinger, as you posted.  The serial number is under the crane, tucked up underneath the overhang.  Two lines there one is the serial number, the other is 15-B.

I have a 14-N and 15-N

Wastoute
Members
April 30, 2017 - 12:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Are th serial numbers below or above 21,6XX?  Especially on the 15-N.  (Gotta wonder what the B and N are for.)

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1954
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
April 30, 2017 - 1:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wastoute, Steve is likely right about the Model being 15-1. I believe the 15-B likely is a reference to a Model 15 in Blue. It could also refer to a modification that was made from the original design. Like the S&W 10-6, 10-11 etc..

middlecalf
Idaho
Members
April 30, 2017 - 9:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome.

We need to see pics, especially of the rear sight. There are no-dash model 15's (porkchop with large adjustable rear sight), a porkchop model 15-1 that has the smaller adjustable rear sight, and a model 15-2 which is the non-porkchop model.  The B is for Blue as snake-eye mentions, I believe the N's were nickel.

I have a 12xxx serial numbered 15 (no dash).

jertex
Fort Worth, TX
Members
Forum Posts: 262
May 1, 2017 - 10:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

middlecalf said
Welcome.

We need to see pics, especially of the rear sight. There are no-dash model 15's (porkchop with large adjustable rear sight), a porkchop model 15-1 that has the smaller adjustable rear sight, and a model 15-2 which is the non-porkchop model.  The B is for Blue as snake-eye mentions, I believe the N's were nickel.

I have a 12xxx serial numbered 15 (no dash).  

We definitely need pics! (welcome, btw)

post-pics

Jerry
10 Dans and counting...

Wastoute
Members
May 1, 2017 - 11:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry, I quit posting photos on the internet some time ago.  Maybe I will try to re learn how.  The -B and -N must have referred to the finish, nickel or blue.  One wonders if it doesn't make a difference when fitting the finished guns together as the coatings would vary in thickness, I suppose.

The numbers stamped inside the crane are an upper line in a slightly larger font with the numbers not in perfect line and varying depths, like they were stamped one at a time.  A lower line with slightly smaller font and very light but all in line "10D" and then in an in between font size and slightly deeper (but in between) impression is the "15-B".

The gun is a pork chop but with the newer flush barrel nut.  The rear sight is the older, large screw type.  The bluing is still good but for a bit of wear on each side of the muzzle from 40 years in the holster and a number of moves.  Also, a fairly prominent cylinder ring because I was an idiot in my youth and didn't know better.

The photos on the internet just seem like a real bad idea.  We know the damn cameras embed location info.  Sure you can turn it "off" but is it really off?  Seems just foolish laying out your firearms and then publishing for the world to see just what you have and where to find it.  I appreciate that others have taken the risk and have made it possible for me to see these things and learn.  I suppose I am just being foolish as more than likely in a few years my firearms aren't going to be where they are now, anyway...

middlecalf
Idaho
Members
May 1, 2017 - 12:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sounds like a no-dash model 15.

If someone comes around my place with ill-intent they'll most likely have a bad day.

Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11142
May 3, 2017 - 10:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Okay I will then.laugh This is a model 15, serial #11229...

Image Enlarger

This is a model 15-1, notice the smaller rear sight & shorter front sight...

Image Enlarger

dwf-welcome to the forum, Wastoute.smile

Wastoute
Members
May 4, 2017 - 12:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mine is like the upper but with the grip of the lower (except mine still has the insert in the grip).  I suspect the pistol in the upper photo has an aftermarket grip.  

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: snake-eye
Guest(s) 81
Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 4025
Stinger: 3424