Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
15-1
Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4025
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 5, 2017 - 9:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You have the 15 no dash with the shortest hammer throw of any revolver made. Shortly after your gun  was made (around serial # 25,000) the hammer throw was slightly lengthened. Probably because of light strikes with some ammo. The short hammer throw helps the accuracy. Wolff reduced power spring set makes a big difference in the smoothness of the trigger pull. Karl Lewis designed the Dan Wesson and the Colt Trooper Mark iii before the Dan Wesson went into production. He designed the modern revolver lockwork of drop in parts and coiled mainspring. Some consider him the most brilliant gun designer after JMB. Don't feel bad about the cylinder line. It is perfectly normal in most Revolvers. Colts are an exception. The Colt bolt does not engage until the last moment as it engages the notches on the cylinder. If it leaves a line on the cylinder it is out of time. Also it is unlikely you could stretch a Dan Wesson frame. They are one of the strongest Revolvers made. 10,000 rounds is just getting broken in and smoothing the action. While other Revolvers have to go back to the factory for rebarreling a Dan just gets a new barrel screwed in. I would estimate a Dan will go at least 100,000 rounds excepting springs and a bushing or firing pin. Karl Lewis designed them to not need a gunsmith for most problems. They are amazingly easy for anyone to work on. The cylinder movement you noticed probably does not happen in lockup. Hold the trigger back as you let the hammer down gently. The gun is now in lockup. There should be no appreciable movement front to back and very little side to side. Most gunsmiths are so used to Smith and Wessons they don't have a clue about Dans. If you have a problem the forum can fix it. 

BTW, do you have a barrel tool. Absolutely necessary, as are the Allen wrenches if they are not on the tool. 

Wastoute
Members
Forum Posts: 12
May 6, 2017 - 11:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

OMG!  Thank you so much for the great info.  I do not have a barrel tool/wrench.  I do have bunches of Allen wrenches.  

I am surprised at what I am learning about these pistols and everything seems to point to the most advanced, well thought out, just all around best revolver ever made.  Too bad they didn't sell better but cheaper is frequently a factor.  I have been thinking I need to get a barrel wrench and an LB grip at some point.  Thinking of switching to this one for CCW.  Even looked at a "for sale" pork chop with three barrels but it has the old barrel nut and I don't think they are interchangeable.

What is a good outside the waistband, 4:30, high, angled holster?  I think I remember reading that if it fits Colt Python it fits Dan Wesson 15 series.  I seem to remember someone posting "El Paso Saddlery" and briefly glanced at their website.  I probably need a speed loader or two as well.

Wastoute
Members
Forum Posts: 12
May 6, 2017 - 11:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, and the end to end play on the cylinder is about zero.  At the front of the cylinder the side to side is not much 1/64th or less, the back is a little more floppy.  The ejector is not bent.

Adam42
Mts of East Tennessee
Members
Forum Posts: 682
May 8, 2017 - 7:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 84
Currently Browsing this Page: