Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
New 715 owner in Seattle area could use your advice!
seattle_refuge
Members
Forum Posts: 16
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 29, 2020 - 11:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all -- please be patient with me as I'm a first time gun owner.  I have ordered a new Dan Wesson 715 6" and hope it arrives in time for my beginner pistol class.  I plan to learn with .38 Special ammunition initially.

Forgive my newbie question, but what .38 Special ammunition should I buy?  Does the gun work better with some than others?

I'll also need a holster for my class -- is there one specifically fit to the 715, or would any generic revolver holster be suitable?

Finally, anything else I should be doing?  I've ordered a gun cleaning kit, and I assume I'm supposed to clean and lubricate the gun before its first use.

3ric
NC
Members
Forum Posts: 600
August 30, 2020 - 1:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the DW Forum!!  .38 Special is an excellent choice to begin your entry into the world of hand gunning, however, it won't be easy to find .38 Special ammo right now due to the extreme shortages during the COVID-19 pandemic. Start searching the internet now, and be prepared to get on a waiting list to be able to purchase a limited amount in the hopefully not too distant future. Definitely check with your local gun shops first; you might get lucky. Your DW will easily digest any ammo you can get your hands on.

My personal preference on holsters is a nylon weave. These are usually less expensive than the custom fit genuine leather options, and IMHO cause less damage to the gun if left in there for an extended period. Remember, stainless steel isn't really rust proof. Anything that fits a S&W 686 (6") will fit your DW just fine.

Upon receiving your DW you probably should swab out the bore and cylinder chambers to remove any excess lube, then wipe down the exterior with a soft cloth. After the first shooting session you can clean the revolver as we all normally do. There are excellent videos on youTube to assist you with this.

Check with the gun shop that is providing the beginner pistol class to see if they are able to supply .38 Special ammo, and good luck with your pistol class!

seattle_refuge
Members
August 30, 2020 - 2:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I appreciate the advice and the welcome.  

I was originally looking for a Ruger GP100 before I got interested in the Dan Wesson.  Maybe the 715's lower recoil would make it easier for my wife to handle if she has to deal with an emergency when I'm out of town?

A lot of places said they were out of stock.  Tonight I managed to find 100 rounds of Magtech 38 Special 148gr Lead Wad Cutter at what I'm guessing is a much higher than normal price.

I've also purchased a little target auto-loading pistol, a SW22 Victory, for more economical practice and in case the big revolver does not arrive in time for my beginner class.

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3424
DA....64
Wisconsin

Supporter
Members

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 1570
August 30, 2020 - 9:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print
IHMSA80x80
Members
Forum Posts: 3014
seattle_refuge
Members
Charger Fan
Northern Utah

Supporter
Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 11142
August 31, 2020 - 2:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Seattle? Damn, I would be buying guns too! wow

I've never bought a "new" Dan Wesson revolver, but I really doubt you need to do a thorough cleaning before firing, just a basic barrel & cylinder cleaning to remove factory lube. It was fired at the factory to make sure it functions, than was likely gooped up with a rust inhibitor.  

dwf-welcome to the dwf make sure to show it off here when you get it home! laugh

stonebuster
Members
Forum Posts: 289
August 31, 2020 - 2:24 pm

Welcome from Connecticut and congratulations on your choice of the DW 715 for your first gun! You also made a good choice of coming here for advice. Stick around because the folks here are very willing to give advice to new DW owners. I bought my first Dan Wesson revolver about a year ago and have gotten a very good education here.

seattle_refuge
Members
August 31, 2020 - 7:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm intrigued that the Dan Wesson has such dedicated fans.  

Yes, I'm in a city I used to enjoy but not a place I'd recommend moving to nowadays.  I have a wife and two daughters to protect.  Over the years I've had occasion to call 911 a few times, and not been impressed with the response.  Even when violent criminals are arrested here, they're quickly released.  I don't mean to offend anyone with strong political views, just want to give some background on why I'm becoming a gun owner at this time.  We're also working on moving to the suburbs.

I have just a little bit of experience with guns, learning gun safety in Boy Scouts in Arizona, trying out my (now ex) girlfriend's .357 revolver in Arizona, and shooting a rented 22 auto-loading pistol at an indoor shooting range.  I have a beginning pistol class a couple weeks from now.  I asked the instructor if it was OK to bring a revolver and he said yes, he would be there with *his* revolver.

The place I bought the 715 from warned that it would be a few days before they could even ship it to my local FFL.  There will be a further delay because Seattle Police Department is currently taking at least 10 days to clear background checks.  I've also purchased a S&W 22 target pistol, unable to claim it yet due to the background check delays.  

After a lot of research, I'm currently thinking a revolver is a better home defense gun for our situation than a Glock or something.  This seems doubly true if my wife would need to use the gun when I'm out of town.  In my very limited experience, the revolver is simpler to operate than an auto-loading pistol.  I'm also learning that it might not be simpler to maintain though.

3ric
NC
Members
Forum Posts: 600
September 1, 2020 - 12:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not really true about maintenance on a revolver; especially a brand new one. You can shoot this thing forever! Also, you could leave it loaded in your nightstand drawer literally for decades and it will function perfectly, first time, every time. There is almost no tension on any springs when at rest. With the semi-automatic pistol there is tension on the magazine spring that should be swapped out with another one every other month or so, and the striker (or hammer) spring is also under tension if it is left in a truly 'ready to fire' condition. Semi-automatic pistoleros may disagree, but I'm definitely in the revolver camp when it comes to home defense. BTW, you're very fortunate it's only taking ten days for a background check. It's about six months here in NC.

stonebuster
Members
September 1, 2020 - 9:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm intrigued how you happened to choose a DW revolver over all the other choices out there. Their interesting history, innovations(changeable barrels, unique cylinder release), extreme accuracy, simplicity of internal workings and beauty of bright blue finish are some things that attracted me to the older DWs. I hope yours serves you well for HD and gives you enjoyment at the range. It's bound to turn some heads.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4025
September 1, 2020 - 9:54 am

Excellent choice. 3ric has given you all pertinent info. Definitely more reliable than a semi Auto, especially for a novice. The small semis are notorious for jamming when carried. The first cartridge in the magazine can get unseated and your second round may fail to feed. Full size semis don't have that much of an issue.

The big problem you have is the state of Washington. Move to Florida and no waiting with a conceal carry permit they SHALL issue you. It ain't up to the police chief. No limit on number of guns bought anytime and no registration or permit needed. You can shoot anywhere( within good common sense) as long as it is not over a house or across a road. No city or county can pass a law more restrictive than the state. NC has gone to the dark side 3ric. Stonecutter, Connecticut is the worst place in the country for gun ownership.

5 million first time gun owners so far this year. Guns and ammo have disappeared. If you bought the gun at a local store they may have a box of ammo for gun buyers. I suggest you register on Gunbroker. Com and bid and win 1000 rounds of 38 spec full metal jacket for practice and 100 Rounds of 357 hollowpoints for home defense. Better too much than too little. It is easy to shoot 150 to 200 Rounds at the range. Don't forget to take the barrel tool with you to the range. As your gun warms up the cylinder may expand and bind the cylinder. Unload the gun before adjusting. Lol.

Sorry I am so wordy. It is just my nature. Lastly, I hope you realize if Biden wins in November your right to own a gun may disappear, 2cd Ammendment not withstanding. If you have any Liberal friends try to enlighten them. Failing that, I would jettison them as friends. Liberalism is a mental illness and a dangerous one at that. 

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3424
September 1, 2020 - 11:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

seattle_refuge said
I'm currently thinking a revolver is a better home defense gun for our situation than a Glock or something..

This seems doubly true if my wife would need to use the gun when I'm out of town.

In my very limited experience, the revolver is simpler to operate than an auto-loading pistol.

I'm also learning that it might not be simpler to maintain though.

True for most circumstances.

True too.

True again.

False.

seattle_refuge
Members
September 1, 2020 - 6:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Regarding revolver maintenance, I'm still a little intimidated about this after reading some of the posts on the main forum.  It seems like there are a lot of things an inexperienced guy could screw up.  I've partially rebuilt a carburetor before, but I'm not even sure I got that exactly right.

How did I get here?  

Step 1 was realizing that it was finally time to arm myself, partly due to the deteriorating situation here and in other cities.  We're also looking to move to the suburbs.  Moving out of state isn't a realistic option at the moment.

Step 2 was preferring a revolver due to simplicity of operation.  There are too many ways my wife or I could screw up shooting an auto-loading pistol in a panic situation.  Also too many ways one of us could negligently discharge an auto-loading pistol.

Step 3 was discovering that new S&W 686 revolvers have a safety lock system that makes me uncomfortable.  It's probably very reliable, but I just don't like the idea of one more thing to go wrong.  Buying a used S&W is an option, but I don't trust my ability to tell whether a used gun is in good shape yet.

Step 4 was getting interested in a 6" Ruger GP100 and not being able to find one in .357 Magnum.  I did find a GP100 in 10mm, which is probably good.  But I wanted .357 Magnum and .38 Special because I'm more familiar with them from my ex-girlfriend's gun.  (As a side note, today I was in a gun store that said they'd been sold out of .38 Special and .357 Magnum for months, but currently had 10mm in stock ... so maybe I called that one wrong.)

Step 5 was finding a 6" Dan Wesson 715 sold from a store in Kentucky, apparently their last one.  I read about it, watched some videos, and got interested in its potential technical advantages, especially the reduced recoil in a home defense situation.  I'm already in my 50s so I doubt I'll become a good enough shooter that I'll be able to take advantage of the improved accuracy.  

Step 6 was realizing the revolver would take a long time to arrive, and also buying a SW22 Victory target pistol so that I'm not empty handed at my gun class.  The background check cleared, so I picked this up today.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4025
September 1, 2020 - 8:05 pm

I can barely use a screwdriver but the 715 uses Allen wrenches. If you follow the "Average Joe Tuneup" in the Gunsmithing topic you cannot go wrong. A Dan was designed to be maintained and fixed by the owner. Remember never overtighten sideplate screws or barrel nut. When setting the barrel cylinder gap do not force the the shim in to the gap. It will push the cylinder back on the dedent ball and result in too small a gap. The .006 shim should slide in easily. When tightening the barrel nut keep the cylinder open and a finger on the forcing cone to keep the barrel from turning. Otherwise you may screw in the barrel more when you tighten the nut. DO NOT PUT THE NUT ON SLOT SIDE IN. It is very hard to unscrew it without the slots. Lastly, don't overtighten the grip screw or it will prevent the hammer from staying back in single action. You have made a wise choice of a revolver.

1: Suburbs is a good thing but the anarchists are coming there next.

2: Is now irrelevant but you should learn to use a semi Auto too.

3:Smiths are fine guns. The lock without being locked is no lock. Keep the key in the box and never, ever throw the box away.

4: 10 mil and other rimless cartridges are very nice because of moon clips. Wire devices that hold the cartridges making reloading fast. Besides, an assortment of guns of different calibers is prudent. When the war starts and ammo will be hard to find and we will take what we can off our dead enemies.

5: Buy that 1000 rds of full metal jacket 38 spec and by the time you finish them you will surprise yourself on how good you are. Ditto the wife. If you can put 5 out of 6 rounds in a fist size good at 10 yards you are golden.

6: practice with a lot of 22.

7: Be careful of Gunbroker.com. It is addictive, as are Dan Wessons. You will probably get Dan Wesson Acquisition Syndrome, or DWAS. Incurable and can only be put in remission by low funds disease. 

stonebuster
Members
September 2, 2020 - 11:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good idea buying new until you know what to inspect when buying a used revolver. You can't go wrong buying a new high quality handgun. I did the same thing when I bought my first semi auto five years ago and chose a new Sig P226 9 Legion. It didn't disappoint.  Great advice from Ole Dog as usual. Now you just need range time which I'd expect to you to enjoy with that fine 715. BTW Ole Dog, Connecticut is very restrictive but I believe California is the worst place to own a gun. My last two gun purchases, during the pandemic, have only taken about twenty minutes to fill out the forms and call for background check and out the door I went. That said, our next and last move will be to a more gun friendly state with lower taxes. 

seattle_refuge
Members
September 3, 2020 - 8:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Today I got the notice that Kentucky Gun Company FedEx-ed the gun to my local FFL.  I guess it was the last one they had.

I have *some* .38 Special ammo on the way, though I think I paid too much.  I'm all dressed up and ready to go with cleaning kit, mineral oil, a bore snake, a big nylon holster....  Now I also have a 22 target pistol I haven't cleaned or loaded yet.

Every time I type the name of my city I get an automated warning from the forum, even though it's in the subject line.  But I am curious if anyone else lives anywhere near here, and where you typically go to shoot?

stonebuster
Members
September 4, 2020 - 9:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

To get some trigger time at home with your 715 you can dry fire to practice your trigger pull. I'm not sure what the consensus on snap caps is here, but I use them to be safe. If nothing else, it will do no harm and insure your revolver is unloaded. It's a good way to get some trigger time at home without burning that now expensive and precious ammo.

seattle_refuge
Members
September 5, 2020 - 5:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh yeah -- good point.  I got some .357 snap caps.  I hear they pack a bigger punch than the .38 Special snap caps....rnOnly today did I learn on YouTube that I wasn't supposed to close one eye when aiming.  I guess I must have learned the wrong way in Boy Scouts or somewhere.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: superdan, mister callan
Guest(s) 21
Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 4025
Stinger: 3424