Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
New Member: 715 Stainless
jwdonal
Members
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 7, 2021 - 2:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello all,

I'm glad to be here. I just picked up a 715 stainless from local gun store. Always wanted a revolver. This is my first one. Mine says Monson, Mass on the side and the serial starts with SD01XXXX. How/Where do I find out more information about this gun like the date when it was originally manufactured or any other interesting information? I've read on the forums that Dan Wesson didn't keep serial number records and that it's pointless to call them and ask. :/

Thanks!

605Dart
SW PA

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 1048
July 7, 2021 - 5:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the forum from PA. You are correct, when they went through ownership changes and bankruptcy the ATF took possession of the records. Or so this is what I've read in different forums. 

Stinger
Members
Forum Posts: 3424
July 7, 2021 - 8:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwf-welcome to the dwf

As Dart said, the factory does not have the old records. Jody keeps a "Registry", with documented dates of serial numbers, to provide a snapshot of the production years. The SD01xxxx serial numbers ran from about 1984 to 1986.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4025
July 7, 2021 - 9:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It is law that serial numbers records are kept but it is also a law that after ownership changes and bankruptcy they are confiscated by the BATF. The Monson and Palmer years were before electronic records were kept. The records are stored and beyond reasonable ability to be located or searched. I think many have tried but all have failed. Whomever succeeds can write the definative book on Dan Wessons and become a famous authority. 

jwdonal
Members
Forum Posts: 2
July 12, 2021 - 10:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you all so much for the welcome and especially for the manufacturing date info for my serial number. Sincerely appreciate it!

I just got a new-old-stock 4in stainless barrel in the mail to go with my 6in. Super excited about that! Now I'm just dying to get my hands on the 2.5" stainless barrel. Been searching everywhere but can't find one, seems to be the most rare. ...Some day! 🙂

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 76
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 4025
Stinger: 3424