Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Model 715/15-2 triggers interchangeable?
stonebuster
Members
Forum Posts: 293
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 19, 2024 - 4:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm curious if one can put a Model 715 trigger in a 15-2? I noticed the entire side of the 715 trigger(where it rubs the side plate) is raised rather than just the raised semi circle on the side (where it contacts the side plate) of the 15-2 trigger. I thought for that reason a 715 trigger might have less side to side movement than the 15-2 trigger.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4047
July 19, 2024 - 8:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

They are interchangable. I have never noticed any difference in side to side movement. The 715 trigger would have a frame mounted trigger  return screw. Early 15-2 S had it on the back of the trigger. The only other difference is the model 11,12 14 and 15 porkchops have no ledge for the trigger return spring to rest on. That makes the hammer fall quicker than later porkchops and dash 2s.

Scout728
North Texas

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 805
July 20, 2024 - 2:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jumping from trigger to hammer....(It's "Hammertime!"), I was told the the hammer in the pic below is from a 44 mag?

MOdel-8-Hammer-mech.jpg

It is a small frame Model 8-2.  So, now I am confused.  

Add to the the different types of hammers.   Can someone tell me to purpose of the drop-tab on the lower arm, on the Right one below?

Hammer-types.jpg

And lastly, is there a link on doing a "trigger Job"?  I would like it to squeeze like butter, and maybe a lighter trigger, but not a "hair trigger".

Thanks

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
July 20, 2024 - 4:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can't see the "Drop Tab" in that little picture. I have no idea what a drop tab is. The hammer on the right is an early small frame hammer with the shorter hammer tang. The one on the left has a later, longer one. Your bobbed hammer will perform in DA only unless you can somehow cock it. Any small frame hammer will fit. It is not a 44 mag hammer. You need to stop listening to sellers. They are mostly ignorant. My dear deceased FFL buddy told me never educate sellers. In this case, the seller was totally ignorant. I hope you got a deal. There is a gun parts kit on Gunbroker that has a hammer you can use. Or look on eBay. Or I can send you one.

AS far as a trigger job, read the AJT in gunsmithing. Use Wolfe reduced power springs. The trigger return spring in the Wolfe kit is the best thing you can do. DON'T file the sear or strut. 

RichardsDWs

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 36
July 21, 2024 - 2:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

20240720_122946-Snagit-V1.jpgImage Enlarger

This the full size photo... The hammer on the right I have recorded as a large frame version and the left is the small frame version.

the shape of the area circled in red is the question....

Here is a photo of the LF sitting on top of the SF... very close in size...

20240720_123052.jpgImage Enlarger

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5338
July 21, 2024 - 6:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1962
July 21, 2024 - 1:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
RichardsDWs

DWF Supporters
July 21, 2024 - 1:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

snake-eye said
Both are small frame hammers! Not large frame.

Good to know... Thanks. Given their size I was suspicious of the label on the ".44" hammer.

As to the difference in shape of the sears, any thoughts on why?? One a 15 and the other a 15.2??

Also the thumb is much longer on the ".44" edition... same issue??

I have 2 of the small frame hammers and 5 of the labeled ".44" hammers... would like to get the correct model label on all of them.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
July 21, 2024 - 1:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

They are both small frame hammers. What you call a drop tab has no function. The one on the left is from pre 1975. The right is the replacement. The hammer was reduced in size and the tang lengthened and slimmed. The reduced hammer face changes nothing. It just strikes the transfer bar. Rwsem  and Snake-eye are trying to tell you what I have been saying. Neither hammer is large frame and they are interchangable. The differences are minor and inconsequential. 

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
RichardsDWs

DWF Supporters
July 21, 2024 - 2:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ole Dog said
They are both small frame hammers. What you call a drop tab has no function. The one on the left is from pre 1975. The right is the replacement. The hammer was reduced in size and the tang lengthened and slimmed. The reduced hammer face changes nothing. It just strikes the transfer bar. Rwsem  and Snake-eye are trying to tell you what I have been saying. Neither hammer is large frame and they are interchangable. The differences are minor and inconsequential. 

Great. Thanks... the ".44" was labeled that way when I got the parts bin 20 years ago and I do not have any detail knowledge of the fine differences. I have updated the label for the ".44" to the correct label.

I understood from Rwsem and Snake-eye that they were both small frame. 

Scout728
North Texas

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 805
July 21, 2024 - 4:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you to the experts!   I learned a few new things.

stonebuster
Members
July 22, 2024 - 2:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Ole Dog said
They are interchangable. I have never noticed any difference in side to side movement. The 715 trigger would have a frame mounted trigger  return screw. Early 15-2 S had it on the back of the trigger. The only other difference is the model 11,12 14 and 15 porkchops have no ledge for the trigger return spring to rest on. That makes the hammer fall quicker than later porkchops and dash 2s.

Thanks for the info. All three of my 15-2s have the overtravel screw on the back of the trigger so I'd have to modify a 715 trigger to get it to return properly, I guess. I took your advice on putting a Wolffe RP trigger return spring in two of my 15-2s and it did make a noticeable difference and got an acceptable trigger return without compromising reliability at all. This site has been a wealth of information in the years since buying my first DW. I never would've had the guts to take a DW apart before reading "Average Joe tune up" but have countless times since.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
July 22, 2024 - 6:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
July 23, 2024 - 9:47 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't believe that the overtravel stop screw is a required part for functioning of your DW. It is a convenience to enhance accuracy. Try using a trigger without the stop screw. 

stonebuster
Members
July 24, 2024 - 9:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

snake-eye said
I don't believe that the overtravel stop screw is a required part for functioning of your DW. It is a convenience to enhance accuracy. Try using a trigger without the stop screw. 

When the overtravel screw gets too far into the trigger (out of adjustment) on two of my 15-2s the trigger makes contact with the trigger guard and gets wedged into the guard and fails to return. Less than two threads showing is about where it becomes a problem. You can clearly see the contact points where the blue has worn. So at least on my guns it's necessary to function properly.20240724_082349.jpgImage Enlarger

20240724_084343.jpgImage Enlarger

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
July 24, 2024 - 3:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I assume those two guns have frame mounted over travel screws. If you remove the screws from the inside and screw them in from the outside, the adjustment then does not entail removing the sideplate and lockwork. A little blue loctite can keep it in place if you like. 

stonebuster
Members
July 24, 2024 - 4:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ole Dog said
I assume those two guns have frame mounted over travel screws. If you remove the screws from the inside and screw them in from the outside, the adjustment then does not entail removing the sideplate and lockwork. A little blue loctite can keep it in place if you like. 

I mentioned in post #13 (replying to you) the screws are on the back side of triggers. Snake-eye said he didn't think the over travel screws effected the function of the revolver. My post #16 was explaining to Snake it does effect function.

KurtB
Pleasant Plains, Illinois

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1379
July 24, 2024 - 8:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m curious what’s going on here, I hope you figure out why the overtravel causes the trigger to hang up at full pull/travel.  When it happens, what do you do to get it unstuck?

DW-15-2VH15-7-Barrel-Super-Pac.jpeg

stonebuster
Members
July 25, 2024 - 12:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

KurtB said
I’m curious what’s going on here, I hope you figure out why the overtravel causes the trigger to hang up at full pull/travel.  When it happens, what do you do to get it unstuck?

Pretty simple really. If the set screw on the back of trigger isn't sticking out far enough the trigger wedges itself into the trigger guard making contact as shown in photos. The trigger pops back out with a little help. As long as there's a couple screw threads showing outside the rear of the trigger it returns just fine. The problem was when shooting the overtravel screw would gradually screw deeper into the trigger an eventually allow the trigger to make contact with the trigger guard again. A drop of blue lock tite on the screw corrected it. No more problem now.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: RoBear450
Guest(s) 44
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 4047
Stinger: 3435