Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
357 mag CTG 6" barrel firing pin sticking
Jimmy9801
Members
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 16, 2021 - 8:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a firing pin that is sticking every 7 or 8 shots. I have removed and pin and spring looks ok. Cleaned and oiled but didnt change anything. Are there any other options other than replacing? Also is there a firing pin bushing that should be replaced? I have searched around some and no one seems to have the firing pins in stock and I havent seen a bushing listed at all if it does have one. Thanks in advance for any assistance on this

Jimmy

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4046
June 17, 2021 - 9:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

There is a firing pin, a firing pin spring and a roll pin that holds the pin in. There is no bushing. Did you clean the cavity out when you removed the pin? Dried grease may be in their. Most of thses guns are 40 to 50 years old and it is highly likely the firing pin was never removed for cleaning.

There are two types of firing pins. The straight pin that was originally on the first guns, the porkchops, and the later conical pins that are stronger. You did not mention which model you have. The springs are also different. If you need the straight pin and the corresponding spring it may be difficult to find. Much less of them were made. I am not sure if the newer pin can be used in the porkchops. I used to know but forgot😏. Try Ebay for the appropriate spring. If it is the older one you may need and you can't find one PM me. I may have an extra. But first make sure their is no debris in the cavity. 

3ric
NC
Members
Forum Posts: 604
June 17, 2021 - 9:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

One other possibility. I have a 15-1 that had sticking problems when firing magnums; .38’s were ok. The straight firing pins on the earlier guns have a sharper “shoulder” at the nose. The shoulder was grabbing onto the primers on the magnum loads. After I softened the edge a bit I never had another one stick.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4046
Jimmy9801
Members
Forum Posts: 2
June 27, 2021 - 9:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks all I will look closer, I have cleaned in the pocket but will double check to make sure its clean

Magnum12
Members
Forum Posts: 20
September 25, 2021 - 10:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

+1 on checking the spring for compatibility and cleaning the pocket. I once had lock problems that gave my fp problems as well.

FPC.jpgImage Enlarger

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: mister callan
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 4046