Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
DW 357 SuperMag rear sight
super357guy
Members
Forum Posts: 108
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 2, 2015 - 5:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a 357 SuperMag, made in Monson, Mass USA. Does anyone know where I might be able to get a rear sight for it?

Thanks-

DakotaJack
SD
Members
Forum Posts: 1702
September 2, 2015 - 8:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tell us which one your sight looks like....pay particular attention to the location of the elevation screw.

Image Enlarger

super357guy
Members
September 2, 2015 - 10:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Thats just it. My gun never came with the original rear sight. It came with a little scope mount instead.

I removed the scope mount and this is what it looks like .

dw-scope-mount.jpgImage Enlarger

DW-TOP-REAR-SIGHT.jpgImage Enlarger

DakotaJack
SD
Members
September 3, 2015 - 7:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Your gun was equipped with a sight that had the elevation screw positioned all the way to the rear (left example in the photo).  You'll need to look for one used on ebay or gunbroker.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4026
September 3, 2015 - 9:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That "little" scope mount may be a new addition to scope mounting options. A few more pictures would be interesting. I think a Millett lg frame sight would work. I checked one I have and I think the screw placement matches the one on the left in Harly's photo. 

super357guy
Members
September 3, 2015 - 11:38 am

I guess these guns have been abandoned by the gun industry.

No aftermarket parts available whatsoever. Shoot em until stuff wears out and then your done.

It's too bad because this 357 supermag is one nice shooting gun. I have the 10" barrel on mine

and there is hardly any recoil at all, very smooth shooting. I'm not a big fan of scopes on my hand gun

but it looks like I may not have an option. I don't think I will find the correct rear sight for my gun ever.

Kind of a needle in a haystack scenario. If there ever was an aftermarket company that made rear sights for the

supermag, they are all long gone by now.

forensicfirearms
Raleigh, NC
Members
Forum Posts: 37
September 3, 2015 - 12:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The sight base is an older Thompson Contender Insta-Sight base made for the Dan Wesson revolvers.  The Insta-Sight was a reflex sight with a lighted crosshair that needed no batteries.  I believe there are other posts about this on the forum that have additional pictures of the mount and sight.  Both the mounts and sight do show up now and then on the auction sites but they are getting hard to find.  The sight clamped onto the base and the base will also accept 3/8" clamp on bases like for 22 scopes.  The Insta-Sight clamps on very tight and would probably hold up to the recoil of a 357 SuperMag.  Not sure how any other clamp on rings would do.

DakotaJack
SD
Members
September 3, 2015 - 6:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

super357guy said
I guess these guns have been abandoned by the gun industry.

No aftermarket parts available whatsoever. Shoot em until stuff wears out and then your done.

It's too bad because this 357 supermag is one nice shooting gun. I have the 10" barrel on mine

and there is hardly any recoil at all, very smooth shooting. I'm not a big fan of scopes on my hand gun

but it looks like I may not have an option. I don't think I will find the correct rear sight for my gun ever.

Kind of a needle in a haystack scenario. If there ever was an aftermarket company that made rear sights for the

supermag, they are all long gone by now.

I'll bet I can find you one in 30 days.

super357guy
Members
September 3, 2015 - 8:52 pm

well that would be great! But I have a feeling that finding the exact original sight and all the hardware for a 35+ year old gun, may be a challenge. Thanks for being on the lookout.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4026
September 3, 2015 - 10:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Actually, Dan Wesson still sells parts and repairs the guns. The number to call and who to talk to will be posted soon by members more organized and tech proficient than me. The Millett sight does show up on ebay occasionally. Dans are also very user friendly to fix. Karl Lewis was one of the most brilliant gun designs of all time. He invented the modern coiled mainspring besides the removable barrels and the lockup in front of the cylinder. When he worked for Colt he designed the Trooper mk iii, very similar to a 15-2. Most things that require a skilled gunsmith or the factory to do can be done by anybody. This includes changing the length of the barrel,, the grip and repairing the lockwork. And no slotted screws to strip or scratch the frame. Keep an eye on ebay or Gun broker for what you need. A member called Toltec may be able to help you or Harly will suceed. 

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5325
September 4, 2015 - 6:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

super357guy
Members
September 10, 2015 - 12:13 pm

Oh happy day!! After some digging in the parts dept at Dan Wesson, they found me the exact one that I needed. I am one happy camper. I'm gonna have to get some reloading equipment next because I will be shooting this baby ALOT now…………WHOOOHOOO!!  Thanks for that great picture Harly, it made showing DW what I needed a lot easier. and thanks rwsem for the contact info.

You guys rock!…….  LONG LIVE THE DW SUPERMAG.

dw-sm-357-rear-sight.jpgImage Enlarger

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: 605Dart, OMCHamlin
Guest(s) 173
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 4026