Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Late '80s .357 cylinder latch won't hold
BufordT
Ohio
Members
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 9, 2024 - 12:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was showing my gun to a friend the other day, specifically how the cylinder release was different on DW revolvers (location and how it must be manipulated)...

Anyway, I said that in the absence of manipulating the release, the cylinder wouldn't open - and smacked the right side of the cylinder to prove it.  You can guess what happened - the cylinder opened!

I was stunned: my gun has probably not had more than 125-175 rounds through it in its entire life!  I lubricated the release, but it didn't change anything.

I barely use it, so I'd like to either fix it, or sell it to someone who can fix it and appreciate it.

Suggestions are VERY welcome, and thanks in advance.

Ole Dog
ocala, fl

Supporter
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 4047
July 9, 2024 - 4:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It could be a number of read the  things. Most likely there is gunk or dirt inside the release. Try cleaning it out. Toothpick of dental pick would work. Soaking in Dextron ATFcan help. After all the gun is now 40 years old and likely never had a good cleaning. It could be the latch spring is broken. If you have a DW barrel tool you have everything you need to completely disassemble the gun. Do not take it to a gunsmith. We can help you. Read the "Average Joe Tuneup" in gunsmithing. It is a lot of fun. 

605Dart
SW PA

DWF Supporters
Forum Posts: 1055
snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1962
July 9, 2024 - 8:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the Forum!

Ole Dog is right - clean it first!

BufordT
Ohio
Members
Forum Posts: 2
July 9, 2024 - 9:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh my!  Thanks so much for the responses - I figured I was dead in the water! It really warms my heart.

I will have to see if I can dig out the original box - I didn't think about the fact that 40 years have passed!  <faints>

Alrighty, give me some time to see if I have the tool that OleDog mentioned and I'll post again when I find it.

THANKS SO MUCH again!

P.S. - serial # 304....

KurtB
Pleasant Plains, Illinois

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1379
July 9, 2024 - 10:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

If you cannot find yours, replacement barrel tools are available from eBay, but I’d recommend going to Eric’s web site to purchase: 

http://ewkarms.com/zen8/ 

if you find yours, be careful not to break it. It’s likely the plastic style and may be brittle after 40 yrs.

DW-15-2VH15-7-Barrel-Super-Pac.jpeg

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
July 9, 2024 - 1:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Cylinder Latch can be easily removed without any disassembly of the revolver. There is a small allen head set screw that keeps the latch in place. You can see it from the front of the crane near the top of the latch. It will be inset into a small hole in the crane. Just back it out enough that the latch will slide up and off the frame. At the bottom of the latch slot is a spring curved into a U shape. Pop the spring out and clean the slot and the latch, then reassemble. Be careful not to screw the set screw in too far or it will come out of the hole and jam the latch. Also clean the hole in the frame where the latch seats.

I don't know the size of the allen head screw but if you have a good set of wrenches you should be able to find the one that fits it. I believe it is the same size as the front sight screw.

If you determine that the spring is worn out, let me know. I think I have one.  

rwsem
SOWELA (Southwest Louisiana)

Supporter
Members

Moderators

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 5338
July 10, 2024 - 5:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

To save some heart ache and your knees- disassemble that latch inside of a one-gallon baggie.... you're welcome.

Technically, the glass is always full; half liquid, half air....

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
July 10, 2024 - 8:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

rwsem said
To save some heart ache and your knees- disassemble that latch inside of a one-gallon baggie.... you're welcome.

Always a good idea.

mister callan
Mid-Atlantic
Members
Forum Posts: 487
July 10, 2024 - 2:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had this happen some years back.

After driving me crazy for a while I traced it down to a burr running along the edge of the latch!

To check, open the cylinder & run a thumbnail over the inside edge of the latch. It shouldn't "snag".

I simply stoned it down carefully to not change anything else & its been fine ever since.

Matthew Quigley on handguns:

“I said I never had much use for one. Never said

I didn't know how to use it.”

hemiram
Members
Forum Posts: 87
August 12, 2024 - 7:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had a gun that was super nasty when I got it, and the latch would stick open or closed, depending on it's "mood". I shot some gun scrubber in it without any luck and finally took it apart, and it was full of crud.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: RoBear450
Guest(s) 37
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 4047
Stinger: 3435