Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Need info on my .357
snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 1953
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 28, 2008 - 6:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just purchased a .357 and I'm hoping someone can tell me more about it. It's blue, has the 2.5, 4, 6 & 8 inch barrels. Made in Monson. Serial #67343. All the barrel shrouds are non-pork chop and have fixed, non-changeable frontsights. The barrels are not heavy or vented. The rear sights are adjustable. I guess it to be a model 15-2, but everything I've read says the front sights should be changeable.

Thanks for your help! 

Robert Hoffman
Guests
December 28, 2008 - 7:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Pictures would help.  Are you sure the sights are fixed; the front sight is usually removable by a small alllen screw on the front of the barrel above the barrel nut.  If you have the tool, it's the smallest allen wrench.  If it's truely fixed, I'm at a loss.  Is the rear sight adjustable; if not it's a model 14.

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
December 28, 2008 - 7:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'll try to get photos soon. Went to the gun safe to double-check & there are no allen screws on the front of any of the shrouds. The rear sights are adjustable. It came in a case - no buckle or patch & no yellow cloth over the foam liner. The barrel tool is the old 2-piece version.

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
January 5, 2009 - 2:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's a photo of my 357. The 2.5 shroud is shown end-on and you can see that there is no allen screw for front sight removal. I'm guessing it's an early model 15, but I'm hoping someone knows the answer.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

lbruce
Georgia
Members

DWF Supporters

Dans Club

Moderators
Forum Posts: 3569
January 5, 2009 - 2:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I did not see the photo, but could you possibly have a model 15 frame with model 14 shrouds. I do not know how this might have happened but I am pretty sure they will fit.

Wisdom is merely the realization of how little one knows, therefore I am wise.

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
January 7, 2009 - 12:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry about the photo. I still have not figured out how to get one posted. I guess I'll have to ask my son the computer expert for help!

They could be Model 14 shrouds, but there is a label inside the top of the case it came in that identifies it as a model 15-2.  The word "Pac" and the serial number are also on the label, but they are handwritten. It's possible the shrouds were switched some time in the past, or maybe it was jsut an early model that did not have changeable front sights.

I'm hoping someone out there might know for sure.

Thanks for the help.

Dusty Trail
Round Rock, Texas
Members
Forum Posts: 1044
January 7, 2009 - 9:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's what a factory label from ~1981 (borrowed from GunBroker) looks like, so you can compare to yours.  It was SOP to write the serial number on at the factory:

Also, you probably do have a 15-2 with "standard" barrel (solid rib, no under lug).  The barrels came in four styles back then, one of which was "standard weight, solid rib".  15-2's hit the market in 1975 and guessing from your serial number, yours is a `75 or '76, which might explain the fixed front site. 

To hang a picture here (I got this from Steve), put your picture on Photobucket and use the little "tree icon" at the top of your DWF post window to copy in the "direct link" address from photobucket.  It'll appear like magic...

Jody
Salem, Virginia
Admin
Forum Posts: 6205
January 8, 2009 - 7:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Based on a letter that Rash provided the forum early barrels infact had fixed front sights.  Here is a link to that letter.

This was a very informative letter!

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
January 8, 2009 - 1:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I also saw a post recently on Arfcom from a guy who snaps up every DW he sees. He has a Lil Dan, and it appears ti have  interchangeable barrel and shroud, with a fixed front sight.

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
January 8, 2009 - 2:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's the photo, finally. It seems big, but maybe it will be ok when I save it! Thanks for all the great info. My label looks just like the photo above. I think it must be original. The seller told me he was the original owner and it had a grip blank when he purchased it. He didn'tknow what happened to it. He did not mention a buckle or patch. From the letter mentioned above, it seems very likely that it is one of the early guns, before the buckle and patch.

I feel like I stumbled into a good buy!

Image Enlarger

Dusty Trail
Round Rock, Texas
Members
Forum Posts: 1044
January 8, 2009 - 5:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice picture.

It looks like you stumbled onto a really nice, vintage set.

Any chance of finding out from the original owner what the actual purchase date was?

It sure would be nice to match a date to that mid-seventies serial number and post it in the Serial Number section. 

Steve

Dans Club
Forum Posts: 10330
January 8, 2009 - 7:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Snake-eye- your barrel wrench and Target grip are identical to what came with my first Dan wesson, that was purchased new in 1977. you don't see that barrel wrench set up much anymore, just the barrel spud part has sold for well over $50 on Ebay

Steve

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman "Were is the Self Help Section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.

George Carlin

snake-eye
Fort Myers, Florida
Members

Dans Club
January 8, 2009 - 9:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'll try to get hold of my seller and find out when he bought it.  If not, then according to the letter referenced above in Jody's post, the factory stopped shipping the grip blanks in the Pistol Pac on April 1, 1976 and switched to the buckle & patch. That would mean my pistol was manufactured before April 1, 1976.

I forgot to thank Dusty for the photobucket hint that finally brought me success in posting the photo. Now I have to go to the photo forum & post more pictures of this pistol & my 44. Thanks Dusty!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 658
Currently Online: superdan
Guest(s) 96
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Steve: 10330
SHOOTIST357: 4788
Dave_Ks: 4300
Ole Dog: 4024
Stinger: 3421